Located in the central Peruvian Amazon, the Yanesha people live in over 40 rural communities. Although they were reached by Wycliff missionaries in the 60s, the spiritual awakening experienced by that generation has faded and the Yanesha churches are now small and elderly. The youth are becoming increasingly connected with the outside world despite not having electricity or good cell phone service.
This is a pivotal time in the lives of this new Yanesha generation. We need team members to focus on the youth in several key Yanesha communities through three local high schools and additional outreach events.
This small team has begun work in the areas of training young church leaders and in community development efforts and needs more team members passionate about reaching and discipling youth to join! Current projects include teaching English and religion classes at the local high schools and soccer outreach, as well as other community development projects and clean water initiatives.
We live several hours from “Yanesha land” in a jungle city and travel there a couple times a month. Team members in this position would come alongside schools and families as a positive support, demonstrating the love of Christ, the fun that can be had without drugs and alcohol, and that Jesus is the answer for them just as it was for their grandparents. When not traveling to the Yanesha area, they will have the opportunity to get involved with local youth groups and teach at a local Christian school and elsewhere in town.
- Build relationships with youth, lead by example, and encourage young people to dream and think about their futures
- Build network amongst Yanesha churches and leaders
- Get to know parents and families involved.
- Receive and maximize teams focused on youth outreach
- Train others for greater evangelism and discipleship
- Assist in administrative details related to ministry as needed
- Study Spanish full-time for the first 6-12 months or have a high level of fluency