What is Orphan Sunday?
In 2003, during the height of the AIDS crisis, a Zambian pastor pleaded for his congregation to care for the AIDS orphans in their community, and they responded with overwhelming generosity. The movement spread, and in time, it reached the United States where the Christian Alliance for Orphans (CAFO) began promoting Orphan Sunday in the U.S. Today, hundreds of churches around the world unite on the second Sunday of November to remember the orphan and to encourage their people to care for them in Christ’s name.
What is GlobalFingerprints?
GlobalFingerprints was launched in 2006 to help the Evangelical Free churches of the Democratic Republic of Congo respond to the overwhelming number of AIDS orphans. Today, GlobalFingerprints serves nearly 3,700 children in 11 countries. When a child is sponsored, GlobalFingerprints meets their educational, medical and nutritional needs. More importantly, they teach the children about Jesus and connect them to a local church. What makes GlobalFingerprints unique is its partnership with ReachGlobal and its efforts to plant churches.
How is the EFCA involved?
- GlobalFingerprints partners with CAFO to promote Orphan Sunday.
- On Sunday, November 10, many EFCA churches will highlight GlobalFingerprints and encourage their people to sponsor children.
Why should my church partner with GlobalFingerprints on Orphan Sunday?
- The Bible instructs His people to care for orphans and the poor.
- Child sponsorship is one simple way your church can respond, and it connects you with God's Kingdom-building work around the world.
- Your prayers and financial support will transform the lives of children.
- Sponsored children receive proper educational, nutritional and medical care.
- Most importantly, children learn about Jesus and are connected to a local church.
How can my church participate?
- Show the GlobalFingerprints video (above), which features the story of the GlobalFingerprints site in Manila.
- Encourage your congregation to sponsor children.
- Staff a table in your building to answer questions and register interested sponsors.
- Run a GlobalFingerprints campaign to sponsor large numbers of children.
- Appoint someone in the congregation to coordinate the event.
- GlobalFingerprints will provide all the resources and support needed.
What will GlobalFingerprints provide?
- Downloadable video.
- Sample announcement.
- Background slides.
- Bulletin inserts.
- A guide for your Orphan Sunday coordinator.
- Support for your Orphan Sunday coordinator.
- GlobalFingerprints t-shirts.
- GlobalFingerprints giveaway items.
- GlobalFingerprints brochures.
What’s the next step?
- Pray your community will respond to the call for sponsorships.
- Request resources by clicking the button below.
- Contact us with any of your questions.