This credential is designed for those involved in a qualifying ministry and who desire to be aligned with and accountable to the EFCA. The requirement is that the candidate has the appropriate theological understanding of the Statement of Faith and alignment with the EFCA. Being approved for a license grants the candidate all the rights, privileges and responsibilities of an EFCA credential.
A ministry license will be issued for five years and, thereafter, is renewable (five-year renewable). One is not required to pursue the Certificate of Christian Ministry or the Certificate of Ordination, but can renew the ministry license every five years, in conjunction with the five-year reaffirmation of the Statement of Faith.
The ministry license is required before being granted a Certificate of Christian Ministry or the Certificate of Ordination, which can be pursued within the third year of obtaining the license, or anytime thereafter.
Required Documents for Ministry License (Vocational)
(PDF copies to print and mail to your district)
- License Vocational Application
- Letter from candidate indicating his desire to be licensed by the EFCA
- Letter of recommendation from the church where the candidate is and if different, a letter from the church in which the candidate is serving. (See Character Assessment Guidelines)
- Record of attendance from the dean’s office of the Bible school, seminary, or EFCA GATEWAY Theological Institute. If there has been no formal or non-formal education, please note that (If a previous letter is on file, a second letter is not necessary.)
- Written license thesis
- Minutes from licensing council
- Recommendation from the district board or credentialing council
- EFCA Minister’s Profile
- Completion of EFCA Required Reading or completion of TEDS History, Theology and Polity course